Monday, September 15, 2014

Craft Beer Monday Review: Finch's Hardcore Chimera India Pale Ale



I hadn't tasted a Finch's in a while, since they are not so easy to find, at least on tap in my favorite establishments. They have always been loaded with hops, especially in the Threadless, but I have to say I was not prepared for the all out hop feast that was laid out for me here.


Boasting an IBV of 9%, the strong alcohol content exclaimed quite an alarming presence of hop, in a way that I would say I hadn't experienced since Half Acre Daisy Cutter or Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I'm not exactly sure if this is good or bad-since I have heard reviews of both of these as more of a harsher character than others. I often even put SN Torpedo in there with them, for its rougher edge.

Its description, (according to Untapped) states: "An American style imperial IPA brewed with Citra, Simcoe, Columbus, Cascade and Mosaic hops. Hardcore Chimera is then dry hopped with over a pound of hops per BBL. Ringing in with over 80 IBU's, Hardcore Chimera's intense aroma and flavor of passion fruit and citrus is balanced out against a hearty grain bill that lends to the beer's deceptively drinkable 9% ABV.

Even though it was a little too much alcohol for me, I still think it is a winner, over all.

CBC Rating: 4.
ABV: 9%.






1 comment:

  1. It is a good beer. Drink it sometimes. Like the roasting malts and thoroughly clean after taste. Would rate it much better than most domestic ales.

    ReplyDelete