Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Weekly Review : Chimay a Trappist Delight

I finally cracked open that 25.4 oz bottle of Chimay Blue that I received as a Christmas gift from Carol, who, although not an official member of the beer club, understands the nuances and associated pleasures that European beer has to offer.

Chimay has been producing beer (and cheese) since 1862 at the the Abbey of Notre-Dame de Scourmont near Ghent, Belgium. They have a lengthy explanation of why they exist and how they live, but I still don't understand why they are so huge into beer, if not for competitive reasons or even entirely commercial ones. (Sorry, God). The Trappist monks who produce beer operate out of 6 different abbeys in Belgium, and each produce a different brand yet the style is unmistakeably Belgian.

They have three varieties, the Red, the Blue and the Triple. The Triple and the Blue have a yeasty strong aroma and flavor, and the Red is fruity, sometimes described as apricot. As one who believes fruit should be nowhere near the beer, I am glad I was given the Blue to sample.

I really did know what to expect, because, I have to admit, I am quite the virgin when it comes to Belgians, especially the fancy ones that have the champagne cork and wine bottle. My only exposure has been American attempts at Belgian Whites or Stella, so I was ready for something new.

When pouring I first noticed the dark reddish color and the strong aroma that I think it a product of the natural fermentation that you get in a non-pasteurized beer. I like some head on a beer, which is something I miss with all the pilsners I drink, and this was a nice think one that settled in due time. I was thankful I chose to pour it into a wide mouthed tulip glass, even though they always recommend the brandy snifter, because I was able to enjoy its smell, like a yeast or bread while drinking it.

But it is one best savored, and it is a high alcohol brew (9.0%). I think I will find myself entering into the new world of Belgian beer soon, but I still think I am not ready for the Wit or other popular ones yet. I was happy this was the first I have tasted, because it did evoke some of the good feelings I appreciate with a good ale.

Rating: 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment