Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekly Review: Bell's Flavor Rings True

I just rebuilt our bar and in an effort to christen it I felt I would need to return to a beer of the darker variety, such as Bell's Amber Ale. Digging in my fridge I came across my last one, and it had passed its "born on date", but I took the chance anyway because I knew I could be rewarded with something delicious. And I was. It still retained its familiar smoky, smooth taste that I have been unable to find in any other brew. Sam Adams and Fat Tire have amber varieties that have their own distinctive flavors, but they really don't come nearly as close to Bell's.

Bell's Brewery, formerly known as Kalamazoo Brewing Company, has been a successful brewer of quality in the Midwest since the late 80's and it went from a very small craft brewer to a bustling regional craft brewery. Although craft breweries began in the united States on the West Coast in the 1970's, Bell's prides itself as being the oldest craft brewer outside of Boulder, Colorado.

Bell's brewery remains in an unlikely district of the outer downtown area of Kalamazoo. It is uncharacteristically low profile and almost hard to find. It has an unheard of beer garden since Michigan law does not allow breweries to sell beer by the glass on the premises. It contains a barbecue grill and plenty of fenced in green space for the little ones including an outdoor stage, picnic tables, chaise lounges and a flagstone patio area. It is truly a great find and you need to taste and stay at this craft brewer.

As for the Amber, it is considered their flagship beer and it has a slightly sweet end that keeps you coming back for more, thanks to its Munich style caramel malts. The result is a deep copper color and rich flavor. Even though this particular bottle may have tasted better had it been fresher, it was still far too good to waste.

-submitted by contributor Bingo

No comments:

Post a Comment