Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Craft Beer Monday Review: Summit Brewery Reaches Peak of Flavor

This week I decided to look into more Pale Ales, and one that had been recommended to me was the Extra Pale Ale from Summit Brewery, in St. Paul Minnesota. I have been hearing about it a lot lately, so I thought I would check it out. Besides, I was a little familiar with the Minnesota beer scene, having toured the Minnesota Brewing Company Factory a few years back, home of Grain Belt (now produced by Schell, another Minnesota favorite).

This was a lot like the English Style Pale Ales I have tasted, but with a more consistent taste throughout the glass. Plus, the bitter edge that I noticed early was still there by the end of the drink, although it was definitely lighter than the India Pale Ales that England boasts.

The smell at first was pleasant, fruit initially, but a sweet fruit unlike the sour smells I note with other ales. It was hop dominated, I would say. The color was a slightly dark amber color, and the foam remained for the initial tastings, which is a good sign for me.

Overall I would say that it did for me what I had hoped, but I think the fact that it did not stand out in any one area leaves me a little dry. I give it a CBC Rating of 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment