Monday, February 20, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Raspberry Tart

New Glarus  has been coming out with new and different tastes for a number of years. Some are big hits, some are not so much, but they can always be relied upon to do something different and a little bold. This is one of those different and bold ones, in my eyes.
Served in a bomber with purple wax melted over the cap and down the sides, this is a framboise, and as far as fruit ales I think this could be, for me, who has never been much of a fruit beer fan, quite a pleasant one. Except for the extra character of this one: it is also sour.
As I have said before in different reviews, New Glarus has given me a few good thrills, Spotted Cow and Staghorn, to name a couple, but the one area they visited and keep returning to is the sour beer. They usually mark the neck label with this designation, like they have done with their Sour Brown and Enigma, or in this case just go with the Tart in the title.
It is interesting, as a reviewer, to discuss the qualities of a beer I don't like, but everyone seems to determine this as top of the line, world class, but it is a category I find hard to rave about, since it is sour.
So, I will say the CBC rating is 2.
Given to me for Christmas by Tom S. Poured from the bottle into my Seibel mug.
ABV: 4.0%.

No comments:

Post a Comment