Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Riverwest Stein Beer

This is easy for me. I first tasted this one at a Brewers game since they have a little stand there and have loved it ever since. It is one of this that I associate with baseball and have to have one every time I go to Miller Park, and that's not easy since the Wisconsin beer selection is pretty great there and I have been tempted by the others offered. But a sports arena discussion is one for another post.
I have been a fan of Lakefront Brewery, have even posted about the tour, but I realized I have never mentioned my favorite beer there, so I had to taste it again and review it.

On the label is a street in the Riverwest section of Milwaukee- I was driving by that church when visiting a friend up there and did a double-take, it looked so familiar.
A very dark brown color, even though it has been labeled an amber, and malty sweet, with very little bitterness, a light yellow head with no too much carbonation, it is easy to see why this put Lakefront on the map. It is their flagship beer after all.

A little information about the Stein Beer: in Bavaria and other parts it was a challenge to get the beer boiling consistently without modern heating techniques so it was common to drop hot rocks into the beer to generate a lot of boiling for a short period of time. The resulting brew was called Stein Beer (stein is German for stone). This represents the brewing method, not the style, by the way. The style is an amber lager.
Purchased as part of the create your own six-pack at Mariano's.

CBC Rating: 5. ABV%: 5.7.

No comments:

Post a Comment