Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Outlaw India Pale Ale

The latest from Two Brothers is Outlaw. It is not totally new to me, I originally tasted it during the first Hop Juice Festival, back when we could tour the whole place and weren't confined to the outhouses. That is a story for another time. 

I thought it was good then, but nothing really unique. In other words, it is not a huge blowout IPA with super bitterness or overly piney or clovey as sometimes IPAs are. This one is actually quite mild, and really appropriate for a can, if you think of canned beer as one to drink in a lawn-chair in the back yard. 
To me, it really compares well with a newer one from Founders, which I have tasted in the bottle and on tap, called All Day IPA.
True, their IPA is lower in alcohol than the Outlaw, but it really does remind me of it.

Jon L went to the coming out party in Warrenville and gave me this coozie, which fits the beer glass, as you can see. He is a big Resistance fan, and thought the Outlaw, too, needed a bigger kick. As a matter of fact, I drank a Resistance immediately after the Outlaw and I noticed somewhat of a difference and sharpness, but it was out of a bottle and that might have changed things. I would need a brewery side by side comparison to pick up all the differences. Anyone interested in trying that one out?

Two Brothers has been evolving a little, and as microbrewery I think they are continuously coming up with new ideas and collaborations, but I wonder at what point do they stick with their favorites and regularly re-introduce their seasonals and past favorites, instead of trying a lot of new stuff? I mean, I think they hit the ball squarely with a good American Pale Ale, with Bitter End, and their Heavy Handed and Resistance are nice balanced IPAs, plus they went crazy on hops with Hop Juice and Heavier Handed, so when do they sit back and enjoy what they have? 

On the other hand, their 15th anniversary beers this year are re-introducing the older ones, and I am happy with those, but it is a limited run for now only. 

Any thoughts on this? Do you like can beer and want more this way, like Domaine Dupage?

I guess that's not for me to decide, I will just keep buying them.

CBC Rating: 4. Given to me simulataneously by Jon L and Steve-o. They know me so well.

ABV: 6.5%



No comments:

Post a Comment