Saturday, June 23, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Glacial Trail

Drinking out of a plastic cup on Navy Pier yesterday I enjoyed this one, and it was a little challenging to choose, especially at Harry Caray's outdoor bar, where they aim to please with their options there. I will do a broader review of their offerings on the pier, but for now just doing this beer.

I was also attracted to it because of the strange looking goose tucked in among the Goose Island offerings. Alas, it wasn't a goose after all. I have tasted some of the others offered by CW, both in bottle, such as this one, and this one: Mud Puppy. Those were in the selection offered at Binny's, so the Glacial Trail IPA was the first one I have seen on tap.

Still not too thrilled with the heron logo, although it did look ok on the tapper, for the most part. I can totally see why they would do it, being a Wisconsin beer and the plethora of herons on the lakes there, but it is kind of a spindly bird so I am surprised it has stuck.

Also, it was free thanks to the fact we were on group trip there and someone else was picking up the tab. They also picked it up on the other one I had a little later and I will review it too.

Since it was in a plastic cup and all I guess it wouldn't have pleased the purists but it was just hat I needed at the time, since it was a little warm and I had just walked a little. I was able to slowly sip and enjoy this, too.

The head was tannish and foamy, as I would expect, but settled quickly and left behind an orange/amber brew with a bold piney scent and a taste that was right on line with that. Definitely an IPA, with the right amount of bitterness to balance it out. I would put it a little higher than others I have tasted, and even a little higher than the one I tasted later that day too, which I will be reviewing next.

CBC Rating: 4.5 (this is new for me, since I really enjoyed it but I need to try it again, in a different setting).

ABV: 5.5%.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I drank that on Monday, but posted it today. Just clearing that up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, this one is from Central Waters, too. Sorry I didn't mention that in the review.

    ReplyDelete