Monday, June 11, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Schild Brau Amber

Having tasted this Iowa beer when was out in Iowa a few years ago, visiting, what else, Field of Dreams, I really enjoyed the Millstream products I was able to taste. I am not sure if there are others besides Millstream in Iowa. I was able to try a Missouri beer out there too but that is about it. 

But this one really grabbed my attention, since it recognized the German area it comes from. Maybe I am more of a traditionalist, because I am really happy to see when a product honors its local flavor or traditions. Maybe that is why I enjoy New Glarus. 

The Schild Brau is an amber ale with a German label and name and has a solid malty robust taste to it. It is really a good one. It is very smooth and balanced, and makes you think there is more there than the relatively low amount of alcohol. Not low for a Vienna, necessarily, but for one with this amount of taste.

Located in the Amana colonies, Millstream looks to brew with traditional ingredients and recipes. It is a Vienna style and has a nice mellowing flavor that is quite good, smooth, and balanced.

CBC Rating: 4. Delivered to me by Steve Howard when he visited-he brought me 2 six packs just to be sure. They are going  fast.

ABV: 4.9%.

Any thoughts about this? More of a traditionalist?


No comments:

Post a Comment