Monday, July 16, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Capital Amber

I was out to watch the 4th of July spectacular fireworks show and I wanted to try something in the can to enjoy it, so I went to my local beerstore and the selection was unbelievable, of course. I narrowed it down to TB Outlaw Pale Ale (see review here) and this one, which I have tasted and enjoyed in the bottle before. So I bought them both and took them to the show. I have to confess I used the Outlaw coozie for all of them, though.

As you might be able to tell I have been leaning more and more towards canned beers (see here and here). Binny's selection is numerous, and it was tough to decide. I had a few problems with some: I haven't had Point Beer in ages (is it good, any opinions out there?) so while they must have had 8 or 10 in cans, and the Leinenkugel summer variety was rather limited (half the beers I don't drink-Shandy and Berry), I had to choose among the others, which also included Sierra Nevada 12 packs or 312 12 packs. They had a ton more of the craft beer (is Point or Leinenkugel craft?) but these are the ones that caught my eye. They also have an Anderson Valley selection and Ska set too which I might consider sometime too. Plus the ones we have had before including Finch and Half Acre etc.

Sorry, back to the Capital: This one, I have to admit, tasted more smooth and balanced than before, even if it is a mellower beer anyway. I thought it was a good idea for one to put in the can, even though I am told the Island Wheat is canned too. Any other Capitals canned?

While I wasn't terribly thrilled with the US Pale Ale, I was pretty happy with this one. I guess it is not too hard to screw up an Amber (although Mickey Finns in the can was borderline, I think). The can is attractive too, while it brigns back our old collecting day memories of Drummond Beer it still works. I am not a Badger either, but thats ok. I totally recommend it for all occasions, especially the outdoor ones where a can is a benefit. Watch the price though, it isn't too cheap.

CBC Rating: 4. Straight from the can into my mouth. From Binny's 12 pack.

ABV:  5.2% (right on the front of the can).


No comments:

Post a Comment