Monday, November 28, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Capital Winter Skal

I was looking for more winter beers because I have always appreciated the reliability, smoothness and session ability of Sam Adams Winter Lager, but I was looking for something else interesting, and I think I found it with this brew. I first saw this when I was looking for Capital Autumnal Fire, a doppelbock I really thought was a knockout but haven't able to get for the last two autumns. Maybe a road trip up to Madison will have to be in order.

Smooth, good malt flavor, very mild bitterness, slightly spicy makes this a reliable and steady taster. Finishes slightly dry, which makes me wonder if there is some rye taking part. I would put it slightly ahead of the SAWL, personally, because I am not too fond of the ginger in it, but on the other hand I think there is something to be said for a beer that is pretty good and also a lot easier to get here in Chicagoland (I can only get the seasonal Capitals at Marianos in Vernon Hills), or go to Woodman's. 

Sometimes I am not sure what to expect with some of the Wisconsin beers, but I have come across some funkiness and way out oddness, like with the specialty New Glarus brews on occasion. But the Capital beers have been a lot more reliable, like their Wisconsin Amber, which is a Vienna but I would argue better than Sam Adams Boston Lager, their US Pale Ale, which is zesty and well blended.

CBC Rating: 4. Enjoyed from a bottle purchased at Marianos in Vernon Hills in a pick your own 6 pack.

ABV: 5.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment