Monday, March 19, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: All Day IPA

I was interested in trying this beer for a couple reasons, the least of which being that I have known about Founders for a long time and have never tried any of them before. Plus, I recently read about this one in the form of a blog debate concerning the definition of "session" beer and how it applies to American beer.
You can see the argument here. Sorry, not in the review, but in the blog discussion.

Basically this discussion stems from the fact that a "true" session beer is one that is 4% ABV or less, according to European standards, and there are hardly any here in the US (except for Light beers). The discussion that took place here concerned whether we could use the term "American Session" instead since one between 4-5% is considered low in America. I suggest instead of changing the definition already in place, why not use a different name. I chose "duration" beer for this description. To me it would be like calling a yard an American Meter, because we want to keep using the term even though it doesn't apply.

The review is also interesting, because it does touch on the question of whether an IPA can be a fair descriptor of a session beer. Personally I can't see why not. I think the higher alcohol definitely brings out the bolder taste but that can always be reserved for Imperials or Double IPAs too.

Now on to this beer: I have to say that I liked it.I thought this is rather unique because the citrus and bold hoppy flavors are surprising in such a lowered alcohol beer. But it is truly drinkable.
Everything is there that I need in an IPA, including looks (it is filtered) but amber in color with a yellowing head and spicy smells and flavors. Plus the label art is fun, with the Jeep Wagon and canoe on top. Very Wisconsin/Michigan summery.
CBC Rating: 5, for its uniqueness. I would place it in a category by itself since it is a duration IPA. Bought in a craft your own at Binny's.
ABV: 4.7%.

No comments:

Post a Comment