Monday, March 5, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Sun Dog Amber Ale

I have reviewed a New Holland offering before, and have tasted this one a few times, the first time at a restaurant after doing the Livery tasting in Benton Harbor, and was pleased with it both times. Since I do like most Amber Ales mostly, I am drawn to this anyway, and the label art is pleasing to me also.

Steve-o and I tasted this, along with a few favorites and new ones, at our most recent Friday hockey night, and, interestingly, all the ones we tasted this time were quite pleasing (usually we have a few dogs). I will have a entry soon detailing some of the ones we have tasted in our Friday night tastings, because we generally buy single bottles and split them, drinking them out of these tavern style short Schlitz glasses that Steve owns. It reminds me of the old timers drinking out of them after pouring the beer from their bottles in the corner taverns in Chicago.

Just for a little background, a sun dog is a spot on a cirrus cloud that looks like a mini-rainbow, and it not really the dog like you see pictured, but, that's ok with me, I think it still looks interesting.

According to New Holland, Sundog is an amber ale that emulates the copper glow of a Lake Michigan sunset. A showcase for caramel malt, it presents a toasty character, with subtle malty sweetness and a nutty finish. 
I hate to keep saying it but this description does do it justice. Except for the Lake Michigan sunset part, because I can only talk about Lake Michigan sunrises, but I will take their word for it.

Amber and reddish, with a minimal head that is toasty and sweet with a slight bite. Easy to drink and enjoy. This is a repeater for me. Makes me jealous of Bingo again, since he is able to spend so much time in Pure Michigan.

CBC Rating: 4. Poured into the short glass from a Mariano's six-pack.
ABV:  5.65%

No comments:

Post a Comment