Monday, March 26, 2012

Brewery Visit: Lunar Brewing, Villa Park Illinois

Lunar has been described by Bingo on previous visits to be a small brewpub with an amazing selection and he is right on in his assessment. The two of us returned here this past weekend, and it is as unique and special as I remembered it.


I was here a long time before, probably had to have been at least 6 years ago, and I was pretty impressed with it then. This visit was undertaken during the day and when I first arrived was pretty empty, so I was able to check out the place a little bit. I really like the decor, from the many beer signs and frames of labels above the tables and flags and coasters. The brewers were on-site, and making occasional tastings, and lots of locals popped in there too. It is a diamond in the rough, because there are only a couple signs on the outside and they are all faded out, you almost can't make out the Lunar name.

Now, on to the beer. Where do I start? They make their own there, as you can see in the picture. I tried the lower gravity ones, as I usually do, and had a good time of it. There was only one that I really didn't like, and I think I should have done a taster instead. I asked for him to take it back, which he did, and I instead had a repeat of the other one I had tried earlier. Thanks, Chuck, I appreciate it.

The first I tried was the Jumping Cow Cream Ale, and since it appeared to be an attempted clone of the spotted cow it was very similar in fruitiness and texture, but a lot different flavor than the SC. Plus it was an reddish amber.
The next was the Far Side Lager, balanced, if maybe a little sour, but enough malt to keep you happy. I followed this with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale just for balance, then I tried the Baltic Porter which I really couldn't drink. Too much sweetness and coffee, and not enough hops for me. Does it reflect the Baltic Porters? Maybe it does.
The most enjoyable one for me was the Moonraker Scotch Ale. Sweet and tasty in a really big glass. Look for formal review soon.

Bingo, on the other hand, tasted a few that he hadn't tried before either, which also shows the depth and variety they offer. This can be read on big chalkboards displayed a few places in the bar, and also on the menus for the more permanent selection. For example, he tasted the New Holland Pilgrim's Dole, the Avery Reverend and the Three Floyd's Topless Wych. All good beers but all mighty big and bold. He will be able to give us a little review of these here soon.

Far Side Lager
I would totally recommend this as a good place to taste some unusual varieties and flavors and have good bar conversation and throw darts. You can buy nuts and pickles in a bag too.


Thanks as always to the Beer Mapping Project for the helpful use of images. I do my own when possible but they do such a good job themselves I need to use them when I can.

Sorry no website, had to include the beer menus link instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment