Monday, April 23, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Chief Black Hawk Porter

I was immediately attracted to this beer. Not sure if it was because of the fact that Tyranena has given me a smile or two when drinking their beer, or maybe because the name is of the greatest hockey team on ice. OK, I guess it was the actual Native American chief, but I think it really can't be that much of a coincidence.

I think it has taken me a little while but I have, unfortunately decided that I will have to beg off drinking porters anymore. I really don't enjoy them. Find for me the one to switch it back around and I will thank you then, but not now. I tasted a Baltic Porter on that otherwise wonderful afternoon at Lunar in Villa Park and didn't like it, and even my normal standby Anchor Porter is too touch to handle. Even with the Yuengling I have to make it a black and tan to be bearable.

I guess the smokiness and excessive maltiness just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I like a good rich and dark beer and I would have though this would do it, especially since I am fond of dry stouts and I have been trouble finding those these days too. But give me a smooth drinkable porter and I will relax and enjoy it. I just couldn't with this one.

It describes itself as a dark and sharply bittersweet brew, similar to what the porters drank in London. They can have it back. It was average at best, and had to wash it down with an Alpine Spring.

CBC Rating: 2. Sorry guys, I really didn't think you hit it with this one. Surprising too. Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint glass. Purchased in a Craft Your Own at Binny's.

ABV: 5.8%.


No comments:

Post a Comment