Monday, April 16, 2012

Craft Beer Monday Review: Dirty Bastard

Thank you so much, Founder's, for making one of my favorite styles. So far they have done a pretty good job with the few I have tried, most recently this one. A good quality Scotch Ale, or a Wee Heavy, I have started to see a little more but I have been drinking Belhaven from Scotland and Robert the Bruce from Three Floyd's for years because that is all I could find.

I was talking to drinker Sweeney Tom who attended a beer club meeting recently where the tastings involved scotch ales and they were taught of all the differences and what they all meant. I wish I had attended that class too.

Instead, I will just review this one.


It really packs a punch, comes at you out of nowhere. I started it when it was really chilled down, but due to the alcohol level it took me a while to work it through. It was a butt-kicker to be honest. But the flavors that erupted were many and strong. It started strong alcohol with a syrupy consistency yet a tang of the hops and rich taste I get from the malt presence. After a while tastes of caramel and raisins developed, with an very slight sourness there too. But this sourness, unlike some of the others (like this one) was from the aged fruit, I think, and not so almost a vinegar taste I thought I could detect in those others.
I had to take my time with this one: it lasted the entire third period.


CBC Rating: 5. A beer I have been looking for for a long time.

ABV: 8.5%

Any other thoughts by you out there? I would like to hear it.





No comments:

Post a Comment