Monday, October 17, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Goose Island Harvest Ale

The debate rages concerning whether we should continue referring to Goose Island as a craft beer, and whether to consider it Midwest beer too. It is owned by Busch and Inbev, but for now, I am going to include it in here. The same question was raised by the editors of the The Great Lakes Brewing News, whose editors have decided to take it off their list of brewpub tours for Illinois.

This one was a little different than I expected. For autumns and Oktoberfests I have seen the traditional Marzens or Munich Lagers, and even a Doppelbock from Capital (Autumnal Fire) at a whopping 7.8% ABV. This, instead, is an ESB, a good quality ale but with a strong malt and hop character I didn't expect. It is copper in color and has a healthy amount of carbonation, which allowed for the right amount of head and bubbles. Link

I have been fond of other offerings from Goose Island, like their winter rye ale, Mild Winter, and some specialty beers like Red Felt and Bourbon County Stout. In fact, most of the time you will find Honkers in my fridge. I am thinking of adding this to my list, maybe even stock up for the winter like I do for other Oktoberfests.

Overall a good tasting beer, and worthy of repeating. CBC Rating: 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment