Monday, October 31, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Metropolitan Iron Works Alt

I like this label, it reminds me of Futurama, really cool.

And I like this beer too. It has quite a different taste, maybe it reflects the taste of an Alt like it should. I don't think I really know, because I can't say that I have tasted an alt before.

I tried this one at Sheffield's at the end of the summer on tap and again on Saturday night in the bottle. Had a couple more to make sure, while watching the hockey game. After drinking one in the bottle I poured the last one in a glass because I was getting that funky taste I sometimes get off a bottle. It went away after pouring.

I am finding that an Alt is a German brew (Dusseldorf to be precise) and uses a lager yeast that is top fermented but at lower temperatures than those traditionally top fermented, like ales. This produces a cleaner crisper taste. Historically, this type of beer was created outside of Bavaria, where the Reinheitsgebot was not in effect, so it could be brewed and stored in the summertime. This was thanks to the mountainous climate in the North, unlike Bavaria.

This darker brown beer by Metropolitan has the strong malt flavor I would expect but has a stronger hop presence than I expected and a very dry finish. It has a flavor I have never experienced before. Definitely worthy of repeated tastings.

CBC Review: Another 5, since it is the first of its kind that I have tasted.

Metropolitan is a Chicago brewer that makes mostly lagers and has some that I have enjoyed. It is on my list of breweries to go to in Chicago, and will be reviewed then.

No comments:

Post a Comment