Monday, October 24, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Wild Onion Hop Slayer

Hop Slayer is a Double IPA, and it is brewed right here in Lake Barrington.
Fortunately CBC member Steve B encounters the brewpub on the way home, or else I would have never heard of it. Their pub offers food and a few beers on tap. They distribute their beer mostly local and in cans. As with others, after pouring in a pint glass, I could not tell it came out of the can anyway. More on that debate later.

This one poured smoothly and thick with much foam into the glass and it gave off some strong aromas of pine and clove, as I expected, plus a stronger and sweeter smell I wasn't expecting. It is unfiltered and orange and red in color, and the head and lacing remained throughout the initial tasting. The flavor was sharp and bitter in great strength, and its high alcohol content was obvious (t is 8%). I took it slow and sipped it. I think what I noticed was its separation of tastes, not enough blending for me.

It is not the kind of beer I normally drink, so I don't know if I can review it as fair as I should, but I think I had a problem with the stark differences in tastes. I would have preferred a smoother mix.

Like other craft beers maybe the mix changes with new batches, or maybe I need to gain more appreciation for the Imperials, which I don't have as much familiarity with. I think I will start to try more of these higher IBU beers and see if that can help, but so far I have been unaccustomed to their depth and power.

CBC Rating: 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment