Friday, October 28, 2011

Walmart to Stock More Craft Beer











Good news for the consumers, craft beer at reasonable prices-I'm all for that.

Here are some shots of the beer fridge at the local Walmart, and we can see here what they have that may qualify as craft beer. Please ignore the obvious-this is one messy beer fridge, with apparently no design in mind. So I apologize if it doesn't look like your Walmart.

Basically, if I look through the stacks, I see Sierra Nevada, New Belgium (Fat Tire and Snow Day) and Redbridge. We also have Goose Island and Leinenkugel, both of whom have lost their craft designation (if they even ever had one). Since Redbridge is a Budweiser product it doesn't qualify either.

I always thought they had a fair collection of imports that I enjoy-Stella, Newcastle, Bass and Guinness. This store has a heavy amount of Mexican beers and the one closer to my house stocks more Polish beers, so they appeal to the buying public in their stores pretty well, I guess.

There was talk of Stone and Dogfish Head, but maybe Two Brothers here in Chicagoland?

I think this will be a good thing, but not unheard of. While in the Wisconsin Dells on vacation we did some shopping at their Walmart and I found a variety of New Glarus products at a good price too. I think, in their case, maybe it is considered local beer, but craft beer just the same, as far as I am concerned.

The timeline has not been determined, but I look forward to seeing them appear, especially if it is Midwest craft beer, of course. I just hope they consider keeping it regional, or else those craft beers will be just the biggest brew houses we usually see.

No comments:

Post a Comment