Sunday, October 30, 2011

Where to Find Craft Beer-My Local Jewel

When I was in the Jewel Food Store on Lee Street in Des Plaines, I noticed they do a better job stocking craft beer than other retailers around here. This store is not my usual one, but probably should be since I noticed they care a little more about the beer drinkers than the one closer to me. For example, when it was first announced Stella would be available in half quart cans I found them there in 4 and 10 packs before any other place, even Binny's. My local Jewel is a lot closer and adequate, but could really spend less stocking space with the Polish and Mexican beers if you ask me.

This picture is of a shelf labeled "Craft", which is nice. And, as you can see, does a fairly good job with some of the crafts I have enjoyed. It is always good to see Sierra Nevada PA and Torpedo, but also the autumn offering, Tumbler. Plus 12 packs too?

Additionally they have Two Brothers, thank you-have to have them, plus Dundee, Rogue Dead Guy, #9, Shiner, that new Chi-Town Brewery I have started to see lately (which is brewed in Stevens Point, in case you hadn't noticed), 2 Bell's, Red Hook, Sam Adams, etc. So, I think it is a pretty good variety, considering the source. Why there are Michelob products on the craft beer shelf I don't know, except that since Bud is there with Goose Island, Redbridge, Landshark and Shock Top maybe they want to sell some other stuff.

Personally, the fact that three of the beers I would put in my Top Ten Favorites are here on this shelf either says a lot for me (or little, that maybe my tastes suck). Those are SNPA, Domaine Dupage and MH #9.

Plus a few of these are on sale, which I like too. I am always looking for a good deal, in case you hadn't noticed, so I like to see some beers available at other places. I can never find craft beer for under $9 a six-pack unless it is on sale (which is rarely) at Binny's, so that is why I shop at other retailers like Jewel, Walmart and Mariano's, just to see what they have to offer.

More to follow about other stores, I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment