Monday, October 10, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest

Tasted, repeatedly, in the bottle, from mine and my neighbor's trips over the state line, since NG is exclusive to Wisconsin. All it takes is a zip up to Woodman's every once in a while. Tasted this last year, but only purchased a six pack and when I returned a few weeks later, it was sold out. Apparently this year more was produced or at least made available to stores in Kenosha, or just timing, I suppose.

Brewed to the traditions of the Bavarian brews, Staghorn is heavy on the malts and is higher in alcohol, but, I really think it excels over a few of those German Oktoberfests we have been drinking for a long time. I will have an entry reviewing those fest beers I have tasted soon, in the spirit of the season.

They advertise it as a red, and, in New Glarus tradition, throw a little something extra into it, they give it a little spice. This reminds me of the rye beers, which are red and a little spicy, but I think it works here because sometimes with an excess of malts, beer will tend to sour a little, and while it is a fun little twist at times, I don't prefer it over some other features, like sweetness, for example.

CBC Rating:4. Good and worthy of repeated tastings.

On an upcoming post I will mention my favorite beer stores and I will be sure to detail Woodman's a little more (this link doesn't do much, sorry), but I encourage stocking up on this one because they have loaded them up really well this year with cases, 12 packs and sixes, but it is seasonal, or course.

No comments:

Post a Comment