Monday, December 12, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Half Acre Over Ale

I'm always on the lookout for two or three things at the beer tavern: A different kind of ale (without getting too fruity or extreme), Midwestern brewed, and having a good story behind it.

I was thinking this would be perfect for this tasting. I have been interested in the Half Acre story for a while-I had checked out their beer a few years ago, and was glad I did. I was buying beer at my local beer store and they customarily have leftover beer case boxes on hand to carry your purchases in. Until I got home I hadn't realized that I had grabbed a Sand Creek Brewery box, which was one I had never heard of. They were only just starting to brew again and I hadn't then nor have I seen since their beer on any Illinois shelves.

Anyway, when I investigated them I saw that the beer they had been brewing in that facility in Black River Falls was actually under contract for the Half Acre folks who were just starting to sell in Chicago but hadn't yet landed a place there. Their beer was available in taverns on tap and in cans in the stores. I purchased a Daisy Cutter not long after and I have been hooked ever since.

Now for the beer. There are certain characteristics I appreciate in certain styles of beer. I have liked a few of the browns I have tasted in the past: Bells Best Brown and Newcastle are among my favorites. But they are both smooth and malty, thin and medium carbonated, but with a bolder malt flavor that I expect. Over Ale is not really like this.
It is not too smooth nor is it brown, and is actually a little hoppy. I think the website description says it adequately:  

"This brown beer is a hybrid concoction brewed with malt heft and all around backbone. A styleless wonder. "


Even though I am a fan of hop boldness I really don't want it in my brown ale. So, I would probably give it a 3 rating. But since I am not into the purity of the recipe or anything, instead I am looking at the overall beer and how much it pleases me, I am giving it a 4. It is different, and more maybe of an American Pale Ale, but maybe due to its malts it is a brown. Not sure why we are insisting it is a brown ale, though.

I enjoyed this at Cubby Bear North on tap served in a Shaker Pint glass. 6.2% ABV.

No comments:

Post a Comment