Monday, December 19, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Summit Honeymoon Saison

Morgan's in Libertyville has been an institution for many years serving mostly the macros, a good place to buy a bucket of 6 bottles for $15 especially during a hockey game. They seem to have an occasional Summit offering, even though this is a little late-the website says this is a past unchained series beer. (Look here for more information on that).
This is my first Saison, and I have to admit it is not really unpleasant. I have tasted their EPA and I wasn't too turned off by it either. I don't know why I am talking in the negative but maybe because I know Summit is more of a macro craft beer, being available a lot more in Illinois than other critically acclaimed Minnesota beers like Surly.

It poured orange and cloudy with a quickly disappearing head, and had a lot of qualities I enjoy from time to time in a different kind of beer like this: a little fruity, slightly malty and a dry finish. Not much hop presence but I think that is good because I personally don't prefer a lot of fruit competing with the hops in other beers.It was rather satisfying, not too heavy so I could enjoy it any time of the day.
CBC Rating: 4.5. This is the best Saison I have ever had (and the only).


Tasted this at Morgan's, Libertyville, on tap served in a shaker pint glass. 5.3% ABV.

No comments:

Post a Comment