Friday, December 30, 2011

Seasonal Craft Beer Review: Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale

Just spoke to a friend of mine, who grew up in Wisconsin and who has turned me onto some good Wisconsin beers like Hinterland, among others. We have a beer exchange at work too. He tells me he is moving to the Maryland/Delaware area and switching jobs. I'm going to miss him, but I'm also a little jealous. While he has to move away from the land of New Glarus and Lakefront, he is moving right into the territory of Flying Dog, Dogfish Head, Yuengling, Troegs, Yards and Flying Fish.
I have seen Flying Dog before, and they have always looked interesting mainly because of their label art, I think. It is really unusual.
The taste of this winter beer was really familiar. I knew I had tasted it before, even though it was not this exact one. I tasted sweet caramel, nuts and a strong malt character. It had the smokiness too that I sometimes encounter in a winter warmer.
I figured it out: it tasted almost exactly the same as Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown.
The color is reddish brown with a tan lacing that lasts a while after pouring, and the sweetness hits your nose immediately, along with some woody notes. Very little hop character is present as it remains sweet throughout the tasting.   
I think it is a little too sweet for me, enjoyable for maybe one bottle but I couldn't have any more than this one. A difference this one has to the Leinenkugels is the higher alcohol content, which easily makes the tastes a lot more bold.
CBC Rating: Between 2 and 3. Too much of a copy of the Leinenkugels and too sweet for repeated tastings yet a little daring with the higher alcohol.
Poured into a tall pilsner glass from the bottle given to me by my BIL for Christmas.
ABV: 7.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment