Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Seasonal Craft Beer Review: Bell's Winter White Ale

This one is quite a change from the winter warmers I have tried so far, I must say. It is a Witbier, so it is unfiltered and very wheaty. Other Belgian witbiers I have tried are St. Bernardus, which is really good, but others examples are Shock Top and Blue Moon. Like them, there are spices and fruit flavors, but I think Bells does a better job by leaving you with a little sourness and very little spiciness. Also, there is quite a bolder hop presence than those others too.
It is brighter yellow with a straw colored head that disappears quickly but the flavor is rich and strong. The alcohol level is not so high but there is a small amount of alcohol residue left behind, which I think is a good thing.
This beer stands alone, and does not need the orange that typically accompanies it. Is this an American tradition, like by Blue Moon only? I don't know for sure.
CBC Rating: 4.
Poured into a shaker pint glass from the bottle, handed to me by Stevo. ABV: 5.0%.

No comments:

Post a Comment