Saturday, December 24, 2011

Seasonal Craft Beer Review: Bell's Christmas Ale

Sometimes you drink a beer from a brewer you know and have enjoyed in the past, so it welcomes you to more of their offerings later. Make sense, I suppose. This attitude has been true for me concerning Bell's products, and I think that is good or I might not have tasted Oberon, Best Brown, Third Coast or now, this one.

Bell's describes it well: they tried to develop a good winter beer that is more drinkable (they use the description sessionable, which I disagree with, but that is discussion for another time) and is not the spicy aromatic blend that you see in many others. I agree that this beer does just as it says, but I think there is just a little something missing.
I prefer the sweetness and the malt presence it has. This is a must for me, and I can do without the spiciness and the many different things happening. But I think there could be a little more to it, more of a kick. I think there is a place for the lower alcohol offerings, but not in a Christmas ale.
It poured a cloudy orange with some head, was sweet and light, with very little bitter bite. It felt light and was easy to drink.
CBC Rating: 3. This is a lower number than I have given to most other Bells'.
Served in a pint glass poured from the tap at Morgan's in Libertyville.
ABV: 5.5%.

No comments:

Post a Comment