Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Seasonal Craft Beer Review: Goose Island Christmas Ale

As a special preview I will be reviewing some seasonals that I am releasing now. You don't have to wait until Monday for these.

I think of myself as someone who wants to try new things, or at least be known as the guy who tries out the latest things but I still keep an eye on the price. That is why I was hesitant to try this, since it sells for $12 a four pack.
But, since beer drinker George just handed me a 4 pack for Christmas this year I have no excuses. Thanks George.
This is the second review of winter/Christmas beers I am doing. I am discovering, and maybe this has always been true, that except for the fact that they are all mostly on the dark side there is no strict protocol for what to expect in one, or its style or flavorings.

This, for example, is described as an American Brown Ale. I am not sure why they chose this as the style for their Christmas beer, but they have a pretty good marketing angle: they change the recipe a little bit each year then ask that you save a bottle or two every year saying it will stay fresh for up to 5 years. Then you can sample a few years at once. I think this is fun but since there is practically a million different beers out there including micros I am content with drinking it all up during the season.

It is described as chocolate colored but I think it is more of a darker amber at best. It has a flavor I compare to Sam Smiths Winter Welcome, because you can pick up an occasional spice or fruit and some bite, along with some hop presence and a dry finish.I have to admit that it is quite good.

CBC Rating:4. Poured into a Half Liter Mug, from the bottle. ABV: 6.2%

1 comment:

  1. Had another one last night and it is indeed chocolate colored and unfiltered. Quite an unusual taste and feel.

    ReplyDelete