Monday, December 5, 2011

Craft Beer Monday Review: Tighthead Scarlet Fire Red Ale

After much discussion with co-workers I have finally been able to taste what Tighthead has to offer. This brewery is a small start-up, located in the corner of an office building facing the Mundelein train station. A visit will happen soon, with tastings of the other beers, and probably a tour (see previous post), but for now I was able to sample this red ale.

They had a little story behind the name, which I think was interesting. It is how the title is derived from 2 Grateful Dead songs: Scarlet Begonias and Fire on the Mountain. I have a feeling the next one is going to be called Touch of Uncle John.


This is considered an American Style Red Ale, but I would have to say it has more Irish Red Ale that American Ale. It is strongly malty, with a solid taste, but quite a dry finish. In addition, I was expecting some sweetness from the malt but there was more of a metallic taste than sweet.

But, with a lot of Ales these days, it is difficult to nail down exactly what the taste is but rather it is easier to label it with another beer. So I would maybe attach the Irish Red Ale from Sam Adams. I think I may have been a little disappointed because I was expecting the bolder hop presence that I have experienced with other American Red Ales like Red Rocket Ale or Fixed Gear, and it just wasn't here. I also enjoy more sweetness in a Red and I just didn't get it here.

My rating: 3. I will give them a little of a break since this is their first attempt with a new brewery, and it doesn't really offend anyone, but I just really wasn't getting what I thought I would.

This was tasted on-tap at Cubby Bear North last Saturday with lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, no ABV available at this time. When brewery opens (occupancy pending) I will find out the ins and outs.

    ReplyDelete